Saturday, August 7, 2010

Skate Park Experience

The other night Darren and I took the kids to the Skate Park aka Moyer Park. Darren had never been before and Tyson was really looking forward to skateboarding with his daddy. After 3 straight days of rain, we were finally able to get out and enjoy dry weather. Or so we thought.! We were slightly disappointed as we arrived because there were a ton of older "skaters" there. The skaters were amazing at skating, but their behaviors and manners were the pits. Between the cigarette smoking, cuss words, and their girlfriend's lack of proper attire, I lost interest pretty quickly. Tyson had been waiting a few days to take daddy to the skate park, so I felt a little torn. Do I stay and let my oblivious son continue to skate or do I leave and explain to him why we had to leave? I do agree and know that you cannot keep your child in a bubble, BUT I also believe God puts teachable moments in your life as a parent. We let Ty stay for 5 more minutes and then we headed to the park section instead. Darren and I are considering writing a letter to the Salem City Parks and Recreation. The skate park has signs up that stress no smoking, no bicycling, no loitering and that the park is "police monitored." We seem to think that's just a ploy to make people be fearful. It didn't seem to do the trick the night we were there.

Ty started with his skateboard
Jax wanted in too!
Then he gave the sparking scooter a shot.
Jax was really into it. Oh boys! They make you a nervous wreck.
Darren jams out to the park bongos.
Sometimes, I feel like I have 4 kids, not 3.
Lilah and Jax crawl up the very steep playground stairs.
Why do kids do this? Why do they want to climb up the slides? That's too much work.
There goes daddy. He's using the slide the correct way. Go figure!

No comments: