Sunday, August 29, 2010

First Week of Kindergarten Recap!

So, the first 3 days of kindergarten went very smoothly. Routine in place. Smiles on the way to and on the way back from the bus stop. Tyson had a mouthful of things to share each day. Until day #4. Wednesday nights we attend church. The service is from 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm and we typically do not get home until about 9:00 pm. Which means, everyone's bedtime schedules are pushed ahead. Typically we do not get the kids to bed any early than 9:30 pm.

On Thursday morning, Tyson began complaining that his tummy hurt. I have no doubt that this was not not true. He has a very sensitive stomach and even though he wakes up at 6:00 am for a 7:14 am bus arrival, it's just not enough time to allow his breakfast to digest and use the bathroom peacefully. Between a combination of less sleep and a tummy ache, Tyson was complaining that he didn't want to go to school. We allowed him to miss the bus and Darren drove him, but it was a small fight to get him in the car. I mean, he got in the car, but cried and said, "I don't like school. I want to stay home." Friday morning the "my belly hurts" started again. It's hard to say if this will happen every morning or if this was just the case for these two mornings.

Last night, Ty was in bed and he was coughing so hard that it caused him to throw up everywhere. Fortunately, he made it at least to my bathroom where there is tile flooring. After we cleaned up the bathroom and got him in the shower, I laid in bed with him for a few minutes and he proceeded to tell me that he does not like school. "I miss preschool mommy. It was much more fun." I think kindergarten is just obviously more structured and detailed, after all, "Everything you need to learn you learned about in kindergarten." (Ever see those posters?). He even went as far as to say, "Will you home school me?" It broke my heart. I laid there and for a split second contemplated it, but that thought went away immediately. It's not for me and I know it's not for him, not to mention Daddy would never agree to it. I'm sure this will blow over soon.

After church today, we pulled into the Wal-mart parking lot so Darren could pick up his migraine medication. I stayed in the car, but noticed Tyson's principal exiting her car to head into Wal-mart. I hopped out of my car and ran over to her because there has been rumor since yesterday that Ty's school is receiving a 3rd Kindergarten teacher because the Kindergarten classes are too big. I believe each class has 28 students in it. I was a bit upset that we are hearing this as a rumor and not being told directly. The principal did indeed confirm that the new teacher has already been chosen and hired and she explained how they were going to transition from 2 classes to 3 classes. She reassured me that this should help with the negative feelings that Tyson is having about school. She said, "Right now, it's just too many kids in one classroom and the children are not receiving the proper attention that they probably received at home or at preschool. It makes for a tough and long day!" So, while I am not thrilled that Tyson may have a new teacher, I am thrilled that Tyson will receive better care and proper help when needed.

Let's hope that week #2 is a tad bit better than the first.

1 comment:

ldolloph said...

Poor Ty. I did hear that the Kindergarten classes were very large. I'm sure the 3rd teacher will be beneficial for the kids to make it feel more like the size of the preschool classes. Please keep us updated on Ty's progress, transistion and adjustment.