Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see!"


As Christmas nears, Darren and I have been preparing Ty for what's to come. I believe this Christmas is going to be the best Christmas, so far, with Ty. I am sure I will say that every year. I find it fascinating how a child appreciates the smallest things in life. It's so sad that this busy world doesn't allow grownups to be the same way. As you all now know, we have moved into our new home. Our view, from our backyard, is magnificent. We have a gorgeous view of the Blue Ridge mountains. One evening, Ty noticed a red blinking light atop the mountains. Out of no where, I decided to tell him that it was Rudolph's nose. He asked, "Why?" and I said, "Well, he lives up there with Santa. It's called the North Pole!" Of course, he responded with another, "WHY?" I told him, "At night, Rudolph is busy helping Santa's elves make all the toys for Santa to deliver on Christmas Eve." He sat there in amazement. The next day, we set up our Christmas tree and I began to explain to him, for the first time, how Santa delivers the gifts. I told him about how Santa comes down the chimney and delivers the presents etc. etc. etc. You could see the wheels turning in his head. He was just so astonished, truly he was. Now, every night, he runs to the window after dark and says, "NOOK Momma, Rudolph's nose!" And he proceeds to tell me the entire story that I told him. Kids are like GIANT sponges. They really are. There imagination is so incredible. Just like my title to this post, it's not the red light blinking that matters (what you look at), it's the made up story of Rudolph (what you see) that does! Did I tell a small fib? Maybe, but in my opinion, imagination is just intelligence having fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the holidays are over and the lights are still blinking red.......

BollingWith5 said...

I will tell him that Rudolph works year round JUST LIKE Mommy DOES :)